-
April 1st, 2003, 05:53 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Joe's Garage is a double cd set with 12 tracks on the first disc and 7 on the second. It's basically a Frank Zappa musical, complete with cast and storyline, about the government and the music business. The music is difficult to pinpoint, but a few words to describe it might be funny, complex, genius, not to mention difficult. Both the music and Vinnie's playing are way ahead of their time. The cd does come with full lyric book. Many Zappa fans will say this is one of the weaker albums - I honestly can't see why. This is a MUST HAVE cd for any drummer IMO. Zappa once said that Vinnie was the best musician he ever worked with and that nobody understood his music better than Vinnie. Bear in mind Vinnie was only around 21 at the time. Scary.
Now go and buy it.
-
April 1st, 2003, 12:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
There was a band a while back called Kingdom Come, and their first (& only?) hit was called Get It On, and if that wasn't the biggest Zeppelin ripoff anyone's EVER heard!!! Even down to the drum solo at the end, a la Rock N Roll.
They, too, confessed to NEVER hearing any Led Zeppelin because of the midwest town they lived
in. Yeah, right... I'm sure you've heard a Zappa song at least once and not know it was Zappa. Dina Moe Hum!!! LOL
Joe's Garage is a great CD... quite expensive, so I'd start an allotment of a few pesos a month 'til I can snag if off the shelves... [img]wink.gif[/img]
Have you received the CD's I sent?
Just curious.
-
April 1st, 2003, 01:52 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Check this out:
Toto is featured on the Frank Zappa album Joe's Garage (act 1). You cannot actually hear them playing on the album, but two songs are about them.
"Joe's Garage" is a concept album about a young rock group that tries to make it big in a great big ugly world of music bizz tycoons, unfriendly neighbours, catholic priests and other junk of society. At one point Joe's girlfriend (Mary) gets seduced by the roadies of a world famous american rock group called Toad-O.
And another Toto bit on the album is the song "Toad-O Line", which starts out as a typical Zappa instrumental, but gradually changes into a jazzy reworking of "I'll supply the love".
Jean-Paul, the Netherlands
-
April 1st, 2003, 03:34 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Lenny Wolf, the singer of Kingdom Come, had a band before it called Stone Fury. And guess who drummed on their 1986 album; The same drummer on Joe's Garage.
I don't know where you read about the Zepplin thing. They used to do Zeppelin cover shows.
-
April 1st, 2003, 04:56 PM
#5
Inactive Member
just some questions guys...
a friend told me that Joe's Garage acts I, II & III CD is comprised of 3CDs... is this true (how many tracks does it have)?!
and what type of music do they play?
does it contain lyrics?
sorry for the questions, honestly, i have never heard of any Zappa songs... totally naive... [img]redface.gif[/img]
-
April 1st, 2003, 05:50 PM
#6
Inactive Member
If you like reggae there is a song on joe's garage named "lucille" (awesome guitar and drums). Vinnie has said that was the first time he played reggae on a recording. (I think it may have been a first for Zappa also. You will hear more reggae on later albums.) There is definetly some great Vinnie playing here. Funny stuff too.. Frank says we have flown in Steve Gadd's clone, and vinnie does a great Steve impersonation while frank complains that he is suffering with the click track! If you want to just hear Vinnie, and Terry(i think) go balastic, Get 'Shutup and play your guitar'. Nothing but guitar solos with wicked drumming! Sheeesh! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If a band named "project Object" is ever in your area check them out! They tour with Ike Willis, and last year had Napolean Murphy Brock with them! www.projectobject.com
-
April 1st, 2003, 06:00 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I think it was on MTV, flam... that was a while back... and I still have their CD... [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
April 1st, 2003, 07:02 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Love hearing 'bout bands I would never come by myself--Kingdom Come sounded decent. Lead vocal did sound a lot like Plant. Who knows if the chicken came before the egg, if you even remotely sound like Plant, you will always take second place.
I did an album years ago with a guy who sounded a lot like Jackson Browne. I'll never forget driving down highway 5 here in LA on Sunday evening and flipping on KLOS. There was the song playing off the album--I freaked--great feeling, but after the song was done, the DJ said, "Wow, that guy sounds a lot like Jackson Browne." I knew right there, we were dead.
-
April 1st, 2003, 07:24 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I have Zappa's "Joe's Garage" & "Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar" on VINYL/LP [E-GADD]...i saw SUNPYG once on CD at a discount record/cd/dvd store...still pretty pricy, tho...but it is VINTAGE butt-whackin VINNIE...man, Zappa just told hin to do what he does, go nuts, unbridled...Berg is right - SHEESH...it kix EVERY1's livin' arse at the time, IMO...i think it may have been the 1st real album documentation of VC just blowin' - playin his butt off [besides "Joe's..."]...some INCREDIBLE reggae/ska/calypso-ish type drumming on there AW...
There are many styles covered in FZ's music...but mostly i consider it rock-fusion, or just simply fusion, for lack of better termonology, with some classical, reggae, every now & then latin, jazz, & ballad elements thrown in the pot to boot...it is hard to describe or "pigeonhole," which was partly his intent...best suffice it to say that it is simply just 100% unadulterated, unequivocated ZAPPA...you have to experience the Z-Man to understand what it is all about...he basically would rag on all the stupid stuff that the [dumbed-down] masses generally hold "dear" & "righteous"...just occassionally, he just mightve taken it a little far [img]wink.gif[/img] ...the musicianship was always at a high level tho...
"Tinseltown Rebellion" is another great FZ CD w VC...he's playing incredibly on there too...more reggae here AW...also in the veign of SUNPYG, & JG; humorous & sarcastic...
FlamT - did i understand u correctly to have said that VINNIE is the drummer on Stone Fury's '86 album?!!! What was the title, do u know?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 01, 2003 03:34 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>
-
April 2nd, 2003, 12:03 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Stone Fury- Let them Talk, with Vinnie Coliauta on drums. Alan Pasqua played some keyboards on it. I got it for 6 dollars at a used record store. It ain't worth much more!
Yeah, I think Kingdom Come just blatently lied on MTV. It must have been a big joke saying they never heard Zepplin. I do like their debut album, it rocked!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks